As I have mentioned earlier,on 31st night of 2018 I prepared a meal of roast spatchcock chicken and creamy mashed potatoes.I’ve already shared my creamy mashed potato recipe with you and for your convenience I am sharing the link here again.Spatchcock is butterflying the chicken removing the backbone and sternum for a even roasting.Removing the sternum helps to flatten the chicken and by pressing the breastbone makes it easier to grill or roast.For removing the backbone I have used this kitchen shear
You can use the backbone for making chicken broth.
- 2 1/2 lbs or 1.5 kg whole chicken skin on
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2 tbs cracked blacked peppers
- 1/2 tbs oregano
- 1 tbs minced garlic
- 1 whole lemon 🍋 zest
- 1 whole lime juice
- 1 1/2 tbs salt
- 1 tbs mixture of dried garlic,dried onion,thyme
- 3 tbs oil
- Preheat the oven to 425F
- First rule of roasting a chicken is to keep it dry while adding the ingredients
- Pat dry the chicken first
- Now push your fingers through the skin to make space for filling
- In a bowl mix butter,lime juice,lemon zest,garlic,salt,pepper,oregano,mixture of dried garlic,dried onion and thyme
- Now take it I spoon and push inside the skin
- And press from over the skin
- Add the remaining butter all over the chicken
- Don’t worry about properly spreading because it will melt all over the chicken otherwise
- Now generously sprinkle salt and pepper all over the chicken front and back
- Believe me it sounds much but actually it’s not
- Salt is the main ingredient that makes the chicken skin so crispy
- It will look like this
- Put the chicken into the oven for 50 mins and flip half way through for even cooking
- Broil the chicken for 2-3 minutes at high temperature for that lovely crispy skin and golden brown color
Allow the chicken to rest for at least 10minutes or if you cut then and there it will dry the chicken.
The chicken was awesome and it was melting in my mouth like butter👌.
Now serve it with some lemon slices and the creamy mashed potatoes
Share your comments and suggestions on this recipe in the comment box below.