Paneer is a fresh cheese common in the Indian Subcontinent.It is an unaged, non-melting cheese made by curdling milk with a vegetable-derived acid, such as lemon juice, yoghurt or vinegar. Its acid-set form (cheese curd or acid-set cottage cheese) is called chhena.
Paneer/Cottage cheese is a super soft cheese with which you can make your favourite curry.
I have made this cheese at home to have a fresh, adulteration free preparation.
I’ve made this cheese with lime juice before but using yoghurt it gives that creamy and soft texture. To make it a bit tarty I’ve added the black salt.
- 4 cups/800 ml whole milk
- 2 tbs beaten yoghurt
- 1 pinch black salt
- Pour 4 cups of whole milk in a heavy bottom pan
- Bring it to boil
- Add the beaten yoghurt
- Mix it well
- You can see the milk started curdling
- Then water and cheese will be separated
- Take a clean cloth
- Place it on the strainer
- Pour the cheese over the cloth
- Cover with cloth and clean under cold water
- Drain excessss water
- Be careful it releases steam
- Now place over a plate
- Press with a heavy bowl to give shape
- Now press with another plate and secure the top with heavy weight
- Leave it for 2-3 hours
- Now remove the cover
- You get your perfect solid cottage cheese/paneer bar
We’ve added a step by step video 👇
You can use these paneer to make palak paneer, paneer butter masala and many more items
Paneer Butter masala👇
Share this recipe with your friends and family and don’t forget to comment
Your comments always encourages us