Today I’m going to share this sweet, awesome recipe with all of you. This baklava recipe is well loved wherever it goes and it is definitely a reader and family favorite.
It originates in the Middle east and it’s a rich, decadent, sweet dessert. We’re talking irresistible layers of phyllo pastry filled with chopped nuts and sweetened and held together with a sugar or honey syrup.
I remember the first time I made baklava, I was so proud of myself. I always thought that baklava was really difficult to make, perhaps because of all those layers. It isn’t so. Baklava is surprisingly easy to make. Most of the work is in the assembly. While it may take a bit of time to assemble, the end result is worth all the wait.
It’s layers upon layers of butter brushed phyllo dough with cashew nuts and pistachio and after you bake it, you pour a cinnamon citrus sugar syrup all over it for the phyllo to soak up, then when you bite into it you just feel the magic happening in your mouth.
Preparation time: 30-35 minutes
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 th cup oil
- 3/4 th cup milk
- 3 cups sugar
- 1.75 cups of water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3-4 tbs lemon juice
- 2 sticks of melted butter
- 1 cup crushed cashew and pistachios
- First make the sugar syrup
- In a deep dish pan add 3 cups sugar and 1.75 cups water
- Add the cinnamon stick and lemon juice and bring it to boil
- Boil until you get a consistency that when dropped from spoon the last drop falls the slowest
- Now keep aside the sugar syrup
- In a bowl add the flour and egg, the baking powder and the oil plus the milk
- Knead the flour well
- Rest it for 15-20 minutes
- Now again strech the dough and give it a log shape
- Cut into equal portions
- We’ve got 25 pieces
- Roll them out in a thin paper like sheets
- Take a baking dish
- Brush some butter onto it
- Sprinkle some nut mix
- Add one sheet drizzle butter not brush it
- Add another sheet and sprinkle some nuts
- Now repeat the process and sprinkle nuts every 2 alternate layers
- Cut into pieces
- Add the remaining nut mix
- Add butter into the gaps as it dries up quickly
- Now bake it in a preheated 360F oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown
- Brush butter
- Pour in the sugar syrup spoon by spoon as it soaks best when hot
- Allow the baklava to rest for at least 4-6 hours before digging in😜
We’ve added a step by step process of this recipe:
It keeps well in the freezer and fridge, and even keeps at room temperature for about a week, so it’s a great option for gifts too.
Enjoy this recipe with your friends and family and don’t forget to share your valuable suggestions with us.