This is an age-old recipe from Bengali Cuisine. The recipe goes mainly as shorshe Illish bhapa or steamed hilsha fish in mustard sauce.
We just substituted the hilsha fish with salmon fillet.The taste is over the top and this Bengali delicacy cooked in mustard paste, coconut paste and yoghurt can’t and won’t go wrong!!!
The time when you remove the cover or the foil you will be blown away by the great aroma of coconut and mustard oil.
Let’s not talk much and jump into the recipe below 👇
Cooking time – 15-20 minutes
- 1lb salmon fillet cut into curry pieces
- 2 tbs mustard and poppy seed paste
- 1/2 cup coconut coarsely paste
- 2 tbs beaten yoghurt
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup mustard oil
- 4-5 chillies slit open
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- Alluminium foil
- In a bowl mix the mustard and poppy paste, coconut paste, yoghurt and mustard oil
- Add turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Take another fresh bowl
- Add the fishes
- Pour the mixture over the fish
- Mix the fish well with the mixture
- Now drizzle some more mustard oil over it and add the green chillies
- Cover your bowl with aluminium foil or you can take a bowl which has a cover
- Take a deep dish pan
- Add 3 cups water
- Place your fish mixture in the water
- Cover the pan with lid
- Steam the mixture for 15-20 minutes in a medium flame or gas mark 4
- Your steamed fish curry will be ready
We’ve added a step by step 👇
Enjoy this recipe with steamed rice.
You can use different fishes with this recipe–Illish, Bhetki,Cod,Catfish
Share this recipe with your friends and family