Gulab jamun (also spelled gulaab jamun) is a milk solid based sweet from the Indian Subcontinent.
Gulab jamun is a classic Indian sweet made with milk solids, sugar, rose syrup & cardamom powder. It is very famous & is enjoyed in most festive and celebration meals. Traditionally gulab jamun were made using khoya i.e milk solids as the main ingredient.
But here we have tried a more simpler formula by using just milk powder.It is easy and simply hastle free. In our gulab jamun recipe,there is no such ingredient which is not always available at home.
So, what are you waiting for… lets make some, what say!!!!!
Preparation time 15-20 minutes
Cooking time 20-25 minutes
- 1 cup heaped milk powder
- 1 tbs heaped all purpose flour
- 1.5 tbs ghee or clarified butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4+1/4 the teaspoon cardamom powder
- 4 drops of yellow food colour
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1.25 cup water
Procedure for sugar syrup:
- In a deep dish pan add water and sugar and dissolve it
- Turn on the heat and keep on mixing until dissolved
- Now add 1/4 th teaspoon of cardamom powder and mix it
- Add 4 drops of yellow food colour and bring it to boil
- Then lower your flame to the lowest gas mark and keep it on the heat
Procedure for Gulab Jamun dough:
- In a bowl add the milk powder and the all purpose flour
- Add the baking powder
- Give it a rough mix
- Now add the ghee or clarified butter
- Mix it and then add the egg
- First incorporate the mixture with a spoon
- Then use your hands to knead
- Don’t over knead or you will end up to a hard gulab jamun
- Make a log
- Now take out small roundels
- Heat up oil to deep fry,but remember the oil should not be too hot
- The oil should be that much hot that when you slightly dip your finger you can feel the heat.
- Then after adding all the roundels the heat will rise up and come up floating
- Fry them until you get that desired colour
- We love ours golden brown
- Now strain the oil and dip into the simmering sugar syrup
- Twirl it and cover and turn of the heat
- After 15 minutes you will end up into the soft gulab jamuns
We’ve added a step by step recipe video of this recipe👇
Share this recipe with your friends and family and do share your valueable comments with us.
Your comments always encourages us.