Momos are a kind of dumpling popular in Nepal, Sikkim and Tibet and are similar to Chinese pot sticker. Momos are made of flour and dough with water. White flour is generally preferred with yeast and baking sida to give that doughy texture.
You can use any kind of filling, Pure veg filling made of cabbage or nonveg have so many varieties like, chicken, prawn/shrimp, pork etc.
But we’ve shared a recipe of the dough made without the yeast and baking soda.
These are handmade chicken momos adequately stuffed with chicken filling. The filling fully flavored with coriander, spring onions and chilli garlic sauce just take your love for food to a next level.
This recipe is very popular in my home, specially during winters.
Let’s cut the bush and come to the recipe.
Preparation time: 20-25 minutes
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
Ingredients for the momo dough:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tbs oil
- 1 tsp salt
Ingredients for the momo filling:
- 1/2 lb minced chicken
- 2 tbs vinegar
- 2 tbs soya sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbs chilli garlic sauce
- 2 tbs chopped green onions
- 2 tbs chopped coriander
- 2 tbs chopped bulb of spring onions
- 2tbs chopped cabbage
Procedure for the momo dough:
- In a bowl add 1 cup all purpose flour
- Add 1 tsp salt and 1 tbs oil
- Add almost 3/4 th cup water or as required to knead a semi hard dough
Procedure for momo filling:
- In a bowl add 2 tbs soya sauce, 2 tbs vinegar, 1 tsp salt,2 tbs chilli garlic sauce
- Add the chopped veggies ( 2 tbs chopped cabbage, 2 tbs chopped coriander, 2 tbs chopped green onions, 2 tbs chopped bulb of spring onions)
- Mix well
Assemble the momo:
- Make small roundels out of the dough
- Roll out the dough
- Apply water on the edges
- Applying water helps sealing the momos
- Spoon adequate amounts of the fillings
- And give your desired shape
- We’ve shown few shapes,you can choose one or make one of your own😊
- In between let’s make the steamer ready
- Pour 1.5 cup of water in the base of the steamer ( amount of water may vary according to the size of steamer you are using)
- We’ve used a 2 tier steamer
- Now apply oil to the lower tier and place the momos
- Again apply oil to the second tier and place the momos
- Steam the momos for 15-20 minutes or until translucent
Making a quick spicy tomato dip:
- In a grinder add 1 diced tomato
- Add 2-3 green chillies
- Add 1/2 cup chopped coriander
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- Salt to taste
- Blend them together
- Pour in a bowl
Serve them with the steaming hot momos
We’ve added a step by step video of the momos👇
Enjoy this recipe, with all your friends and family.
Don’t forget to like, share and comments.
Like we always say your comments are very encouraging to us.
- Don’t worry if you don’t have a steamer.
- You can simply use rice cooker
- Or that also you don’t have use a stainless steel colander or vegetable steamer
- Take a boiling water in a pan and place the colander and cover it