Dum means slow cooked or steam cooked.Dum aloo means potatoes slow cooked with the blend of few spices.
If you are tired of eating same old potato curry..then you should definitely try this.
Delicious,easy restaurant style and that too made without onions and garlic.It is a classic Indian recipe and this veg dum aloo recipe is very popular during festivals.
You can use baby potatoes or simple any potatoes.
Preparation time: 5-10 minutes
Cooking time: 25-30 minutes
- 1/2 lb potatoes diced
- 2 tbs tomato ketchup
- 1 cup blanched peas
- 1 tsp dried fenugreek leaves ( kasauri methi)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1.5 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 cup beaten yoghurt
- 2 bay leaves
- 3-4 cardamom seeds
- 2-3 cloves
- 1/4th inch cinnamon sticks
- 1 tsp whole cumin seeds
Procedure for the spice mix:
- In a bowl mix-2 tbs coriander powder, 2 tbs cumin powder, 1 tsp black salt, 1.5 tsp garam masala powder, 2 tbs ginger paste
- Pour in 1/4 th cup warm water and mix
- Keep it aside for future mix
Procedure for cashew nut powder :
- Take 1/4 cup of cashew nuy
- Put it in the grinder
- It will be a sticky powder
- Keep it aside
Procedure for the dum aloo:
- In a pan add oil and fry the potatoes with 1tsp of salt
- Keep aside
- In that very oil add, the whole garam masala (2-3 cloves, 3-4 cardamom seeds, 1/4 th inch cinnamon sticks), 2 bay leaves and 1 tbs cumin seeds
- Fry them and then add tl1 tsp turmeric powder and 1. 5 tsp red chilli powder mix well and you will get that rich red color
- In that now add the spice mix
- And mix add 2-3 tbs of water to avoid burning
- When oil separates lower the temperature and add 1/2 cup yoghurt spoon by spoon ( lowering the temperature avoid splityi g of the yoghurt)
- After when oil separates add the potatoes
- Mix and coat well
- Now add 1/2 cup boiling water to it and cover
- Cook it for around 15 minutes ata medium flame
- Remove the cover and add 1tsp dried fenugreek leaves, (kasauri methi)
- Again cover and cook for 10 minutes in low flame
- After 10 minutes, high your temperature and add 1 cup blanched peas
- Now turn off your heat and give a standing time of 10 minutes
- You can some chopped coriander leaves
We’ve added a step by step video of the recipe👇
Serve this recipe with butter naan, polao or rotis.
Share this recipe with your friends and family.
Don’t forget to like share and comment and subscribe my new youtube channel😊
Like we always say, your comments always encourages us.
We’re sharing the butter naan and polao recipe👇