Pav is an Indian bread and Bhaji is a mix of mixed vegetables mashed down to a semi gravy curry with a perfect blend of some spices.
In India, Mumbai the Juhu Beach is famous for making this Pav Bhaji.
It is such a dish, that you can have anytime of the day.
In my family, everybody just love this dish. Usually, the Pav Bhaji is generally served with generous amount of butter and with some onion salad and lemon wedges.
It doesn’t need much introduction, so let’s jump into the recipe😋😋😋
Type: Appetiser, lunch or dinner
Preparation time: 10-15 minutes
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped capsicum
- 1/2 cup blanched cauliflower
- 1/2 cup blanched carrots
- 1 cup blanched peas
- 1/2 lb boiled and roughly smashed potatoes
- 1 tsp dried fenugreek leaves), kasauti methi)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1.5 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black salt
- Around more or less 1/2 cup water
- 4-6 sliders
- 4-6 tbs of butter
- 1 large tomato diced
For making the spice for Pav Bhaji masala:
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp whole black pepper
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
- 3-5 cardamom seeds
- 3-5 cloves
- 5-6 whole red chilies
- Roast all the spices together
- Keep on moving your ladle so that it doesn’t burn
- Cool it for 2-5 minutes
- Then grind into a fine powder
- If you want,you can take more in ratios for the spice and keep it for future use
Procedure for making the Bhaji:
- In a pan add 2 tbs of oil and 2 tbs of butter
- Add in the 1/2 cup chopped onions and 1/2 cup chopped capsicum
- Fry them until translucent and then add 4 tsp of the spice
- Mix them well and fry until soft
- Add 1 large tomato diced
- Mix well and add the 1/2 cup cauliflower and 1/2 cup carrots
- Fry them until soft
- Add 2-3 drops of water so that the spice doesn’t burn
- Add 1 tsp of dried fenugreek leaves (kasauri methi), 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1.5 tsp red chilli powder and and and in between add salt to taste and 1/2 or 1tsp black salt
- Mix them well and again add 2-3 drops of water if needed
- When soft, add 1/2 lb boiled potatoes roughly smashed
- Mix them
- And at this point we’ll start using the masher
- Mash them and add water if needed to reach that semi gravy curry texture
- And keep up mashing until everything comes together
- Always remember,that Pav bhaji is such a thing where we can have so many vegetables and mash, mash and mash until they don’t forget the way used to look 😂😂😂
- You can add 1 more tbs of butter and some chopped coriander leaves with a hint of lemon
For the procedure of Pav:
- In a pan add 1 tsp of oil and 1 tsp of butter
- Melt it and add 1/4 th tsp of dried fenugreek leaves (kasauri methi)
- Add 1/8 th of pav bhaji masala
- 1/4 th tbs of chopped coriander leaves
- Add the sliders halved and toast and coat well with all the spices
Voila everything is ready, serve the slider with the Pav Bhajia masala and some onion salad with lemon wedges.
We’ve shared this recipe step by step in my new youtube channel, just check it out 👇
Serve this Pav bhaji when warm or hot, it’s the best way to have it.
Share this recipe with your friends and family.
Don’t forget to like share and comment.
Like we always say your comments always encourages us.