Rumali Roti/Tortilla so thin as handkerchief is a very popular flat bread in India.
It’s main ingredient is only All purpose flour/Maida. It is generally made very thin and made on a deep dish pan kept inverted on flame. It is very quick dinner for people in India and is named as ‘rooti-torka’, means flat bread with tempered creamy lentils.
This bread is extremely thin and limp and served folded like a handkerchief. During the Mughal period,rumali roti is served as handkerchief which s used as a cloth to wipe the grease off the hands at the end of rich meal.
It is also eaten with Tandoori dishes. AThe dish rumal means handkerchief in other languages. In Punjab it is known as lamboo roti,lamboo means long. It is also known as dosti roti in Caribbean.
Let’s start making Rumali Roti/Very thin tortilla which can be folded as handkerchief 👇👇👇
Preparation time-15 minutes+30 minutes resting
Cooking time- 5-6 minutes
- 200 gm all purpose flour
- 1/2 milk+ water(if required)
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbs oil
- 1 tbs salt
- 4 tbs water
- In a bowl add 200 gm all purpose flour
- Add 1 tsp salt and 3 tbs oil and mix evenly
- Then add milk slowly and keep on kneading
- If required add water to bind
- The dough must be very soft
- Cover and rest for 30 minutes
- In between in a bowl add 1 tbs salt and 4 tbs water
- Now take small balls out of it and start rolling
- Rolling should be paper thin
- Now take a large flat pan
- Heat it up very hot
- Sprinkle salt water
- You can see so.e white layer is formed
- It will make a non stick base for the rotis/tortillas
- Now place one tortillas carefully
- Don’t overcook you it because otherwise it will crisp up
- Now fold it easily as you gold a handkerchief/rumal
- It’s done
We’ve added a step by step video of the recipe 👇 👇👇
It tastes best with Tadkewali daal/tempered creamy lentils,👇👇👇
Don’t forget to like,share and comment.
Like we always say your comments always encourages us 😊😊😊