The word fish fry is very popular throughout the world. But the only difference is every part of the world has its own version of fish fries. But all are equally tasty in its own way.
Like in America fish fry is a meal containing battered or breaded fish with side of french fries, coleslaw,lemon slices and tartar sauce.
The Kolkata fish fry was developed during the British rule in India,when Kolkata was the capital of the country. While working with local,fresh produce to prepare delicacies for the British officers,the Indian cooks often instructed to replicate European food which were favourites among the British. Now they learnt some version of fish fry from them and then used their own spices and condiments to create something an unique version and became famous as Kolkata Style Fish Fry.
Bengali fish fry is popular snack from the streets of Kolkata. We’ve an unadulterated love for our Kolkata style fish fry, a popular snack from every food corner of the streets of kolkata.
But how many know the perfect trick to this crispy fish fries??? Actually there are no such trick😁,other than using a fresh fish fillet,like in Kolkata we get fresh Bhetki,but you can also go for Basa,Cod,Tilapia fillets.
Another important point is while breading use both hands separately like one will be wet hand and one will be dry.
Let’s make Kolkata Style breaded fish fry;
Type- Starter, appetizer
Preparation time- 15-20 minutes+ 2 hours refrigerator time
Cooking time- 8-10 minutes
- 12 fish fillets,we took tilapia (but you can take bhetki,basa,cod)
- 1 bunch coriander leaves
- 1/2 parsley leaves
- 1 1/2 inch ginger
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 4-5 green chillies (adjust heat according to your taste)
- 1 tsp salt
- Juice of 1 lime
- 4 tsp all purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 lb breadcrumbs
- For potato wedges- 2 large potato cut into wedges
- Wash the fish fillets well
- And pat dry the fillets
- In a blender- add coriander leaves, parsley,ginger,garlic,green chillies
- Give a quick chop
- Add salt and juice of 1 lime and 3 tbs water
- And make a fine paste
- In a bowl add the fine paste
- Add 1 egg and 4 tsp all purpose flour and whisk,flour actsvas a good binder
- Now dip each piece of fillets and coat well
- It’s time for the breading
- Remember to use both of your hands in a different way
- Left hand= Wet hand
- Right hand= Dry hand
- Or vice a versa it’s your choice
- You might find that some of the green marination is left,just don’t throw away it add 1 egg into it and this will be our egg dip
- Take 1 fillet and dip into the breadcrumbs first and pat it on both side with your right hand
- With your left hand dip it into the egg dip and again put it into the breadcrumbs with your right hand coat with the breadcrumbs
- Shake off the excess breadcrumbs and place on a clean plate
- Repeat the process with the other fillets
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes to 2 hours before frying or you can make it before 1 day
- It’s time to fry the breaded fishes
- Don’t heat your oil too much or the fish inside will not be cooked
- The frying should be deep fry
- Let’s fry the fish until brown and crisp
- It’s time to fry the potato wedges
- In that oil deep fry the wedges
- Fry until golden brown
- Serve hot with some mustard sauce
We’ve added a step by step video of the recipe 😊😊😊
Hope you will like it
Don’t forget to like,share and comment.
Like we always say your comments always encourages us 😊😊😊