Dal fry or tempered lentils soup is usually prepared with Aarhar Dal which is also known as tur daal,toovar Dal and in English pigeon pea lentils,You can also add some moong Dal or masoor daal (red r ink lentils) to make this recipe.
It is a very famous dish in Indian Cuisine and mostly ordered in restaurants. You may think it might need some sort secret ingredients 😉.No not at all,it’s so simple that you can make any day any time at your home.
It just needs tempering in Tempering 1 (Tadka 1),when we start making the daal, and Tempering 2 (Tadka 2) after finished making it.
In between we need finely chopped onions,garlic, tomatoes,green chillies….who will equally play a great role in cooking up this daal/lentil soup with great flavors and texture.
From my kitchen to your kitchen, we’re presenting daal fry recipe👇👇👇
Type: Curry, side dish
Preparation time- 25-30 minutes
Cooking time- 25-30 minutes
- 1/2 cup tur daal/arhar daal/pigeon pea lentils
- 5 tbs moong daal
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 th cup chopped tomatoes
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp cumin powder+1 tsp coriander powder+1 tsp red chilli powder+1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Tempering 1- 1 tsp cumin powder,1 tsp chopped ginger,1 tsp chopped garlic,1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- Tempering 2- 1 tbs oil,1 tbs butter,1 tsp cumin seeds,1/2 tsp salt,1/4th cup chopped tomatoes,2-3 green chillies
- 1/4 th cup chopped coriander leaves
- Soak the lentils for 2-3 hours
- Now boil the lentils
- In a pan add 2 tbs oil
- Add the Tempering 1
- Fry well and add 1/2 cup chopped onions
- Mix well and add 1/4th cup tomatoes and add the spices(1 tsp red chilli powder+1 tsp coriander powder+1 tsp cumin powder+1/2 tsp turmeric powder)
- Mix well until oil separates and then add the boiled lentils
- Stir well the lentils and if you feel it’s too thick add 1-1/2 cup hot water
- Bring it boil and add handful chopped coriander leaves and dish it out
- Now let’s do the Tempering 2– mix well
- Pour the sizzling tempering on the prepared lentil/daal
- Garnish with some chopped coriander leaves and lime/lemon edge
- And its done
We’ve added a step by step video of the recipe below 👇👇👇
Hope you like this recipe 😊
Serve this recipe with steamed rice or roti or parathas 😋😋😋
We’ve added a microwave rice recipe below👇👇👇
Don’t forget to like,share and comment.
Like we always say your comments always encourages us 😊😊😊