GHUGHNI/MATAR KAY CHHOLE/CHICKPEAS CURRY is my all time favorite mainly when I miss my home and want something comfortable.
It is generally made of yellow peas/motor/matar,but we made it of chickpeas/kabuli chana.
It is a very simple lip smacking recipe.
This recipe is famous recipe of Bengal and is known as ‘ghoogni’ or ‘ghugni’. It can be made with onion,ginger,garlic or it can be made 100% veg by not using onion or garlic.
In Bengal after Durga Puja, there is something call ‘bijaya’, in this period people visit people’s house where they exchange some sweets and in every house this recipe is common.
You can say it’s a recipe which has my so many great childhood memories.
It goes great with Roti, Tortillas,paratha or rice or you can just have it as “Chaat”, by adding some tamarind pulp,some bhujiya/sev on the top.
So,let’s make Ghugni/Matar Kay Chhole/Chickpeas curry 👇👇👇
Preparation time- 15-20 minutes
You need to soak the chickpeas for 8-10 hours or over night and then pressure cook for 3-4 whistles or boil until soft
Cooking time- 30-35 minutes
- 200 gm boiled chickpeas
- 1 large sized tomato,diced
- 1 large potato cut into cubes
- Salt to taste
- Spice mix- 1 tsp cumin powder+1 tsp turmeric powder+1 tsp red chilli powder+1 tsp garam masala+1.5 coriander powder
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 ginger garlic paste
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2-3 green chillies
- Handful chopped coriander leaves
- 1 cup hot water
- In a pan add 3 tbs oil
- When it’s mild hot add 2 bay leaves and 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Fry well and add 1 cup chopped onions
- Fry until translucent and then add 2 tbs ginger garlic paste and mix well
- Add tomatoes and add 1 tsp salt and cook until soft
- Now add all the spice mix and give it a quick stir
- Add 4-5 tbs water so that the spice doesn’t get burnt
- Now add the cubed potatoes and mix until oil separates
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes on a medium – medium low flame
- When you see oil separated add the boiled chickpeas
- Mix and add 1 cup hot water
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes on a medium flame
- Now add 2-3 green chillies and 1 tsp chaat masala
- Again cover and cook for 10 minutes on a medium low flame
- And its done
We’ve added a step by step video of the recipe 👇👇👇
Hope you like it 😊
You can also try this with this chickpeas curry/ghugni 👇👇👇
Don’t forget to like, share and comment.
Like we always say your comments always encourages us 😊😊😊