‘Chholar daal’ is very famous in Bengali cuisin. It is basically Chana dal or split peas in English.
It is a very simple dish cooked with split peas,ghee (clarified with),shredded coconut and some spices.
It has a taste on the sweet savoury side. It is best served with Luchi/deep fried puffed bread .
It is very common in festivals or occasions.
Let’s start making Narkel die chholar dal/ chana dal/ split peas and coconut soup
Preparation time- 15 -20 minutes (boiling)
Cooking time- 25-30 minutes
- 200 gm chholar dal
- 2 bay leaves
- 2-3 whole red chillies
- 3-4 cloves crushed
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick crushed
- 2-3 cardamom pods crushed
- 1tsp whole cumin seeds
- 2 tbs ginger paste
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 th -1/2 cup shredded coconut
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbs sugar
- 3 tbs mustard oil
- Soak your split peas or chholar dal or chana dal for 30 minutes
- Then wash thoroughly
- Put in for boiling with 2 bay leaves,1 tsp salt with 2 cups of water
- Reserve the lentil with the water left after boiling
- In a pan add 3 tbs mustard oil
- Add 2-3 red chillies and the whole crushed spices
- In another bowl mix the turmeric, cumin powder, coriander powder and ginger paste with 4 tbs water and mix
- Add it to the tempered oil
- Mix and mix until oil separates
- Now add the daal/par boiled lentils
- Add required salt and 2 tbs sugar
- Cooke them for 5-10 minutes on a medium high flame and keep on moving your laddle
- Add the shredded coconut and mix
- Again cook for 15 minutes on a medium low flame and its done
We’ve added a step by step video of the recipe 👇👇👇
This recipe goes best with👇👇👇
Hope you like our recipes 😊.
Don’t forget to like, share and comment.
Like we always say your comments always encourages us 😊😊😊