Uchhe bhaja/karela bhaja/bitter gourd fry is a traditional item served in Bengali Thalis.
It is believed to be a palatte cleaner before eating heavy meals,it prepares you savouring delicious dishes prepared to enjoy. Though it’s bitter in taste but the potato and the shrimp compliments the dish and makes it very appetising.
I like it on my steaming hot place of rice with a blob of butter or a tablespoon of ghee and its heaven believe me 🙌.
So,let’s make Chingri machh die aloo korola bhaja/shrimp and bitter gourd fry 👇👇👇
Type- Starter for any Thali
Preparation time- 8-10 minutes
Cooking time- 12-15 minutes
- 2 bitter gourd or korola/karela or uchhe cut into slices
- 1 medium potato cut into jullien
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp panchphoron or Bengali whole five spice
- 100 gm shrimp/chingri deveined and cleaned
- 1-2 green chillies
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- In a pan add 2 tbs mustard oil
- Add 1 tsp panchphoron and fry
- Add the sliced uchhe/karela/bitter gourd with 1 tsp turmeric powder and salt to taste
- Now add 2-3 green chillies (as per choice)
- Add the julliene potatoes and fry
- Add 100 gm shrimp/prawn/Chingri and fry until pink
- Now on a medium-medium high flame keep on frying until you get that crisp golden brown
- Add 1 tsp sugar when you are almost done
- Add 1 tsp poppy seeds for that extra crunch and its done
We’ve added a step by step video of the recipe 👇👇👇
Hope you like our recipes 😊
Don’t forget to like, share and comment.
Like we always say your comments always encourages us 😊
It goes best with steamed rice with a tbs of ghee or butter