‘Shorshe begun’ or eggplant in mustard sauce or Saarso byangan is a very popular dish from Bengali Cuisine.
Shorshe or mustard seeds play a prevalent part in the Bengali cuisine.
Mustard seeds and poppy seeds together can create wonders. Mustard has a strong pungent flavor which is balanced by the poppy seeds.
.Veg dishes have so much variety and crunch…that it’s worth a try. Each vegetable can be used in different ways to create a new recipe everytime.
To prepare this palatable dish you need only few ingredients. And its takes only very less of your effort.
Let’s make Shorshe Begun/Eggplants in mustard sauce…..in my style👇👇👇
Preparation time– 15-20 minutes
Cooking time- 30-35 minutes
- 1 big eggplant weighing around 1 lb or 450-500 gm, cut longitudinal or any way you can cut
- 1 tbs poppy seeds (Posto/khaskhas)
- 1 tbs mustard seeds (shorshe/Saarso)
- 2-3 green chillies+2-3 green chillies (adjust heat accordingly)
- 1/2 cup beaten yoghurt
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder+1/2 tsp salt (for the poppy-mustard seeds paste)
- 1tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup water for gravy
- 1 large tomato chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 4 tbs mustard oil for shallow frying
- First,let’s make the poppy-mustard seeds paste
- For that add in a spice grinder add 1 tbs poppy seed,1 tbs mustard seeds,2-3 green chillies and paste
- Add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and 1/2 tsp salt and again grind to a fine paste
- Now add 4 tbs mustard oil
- Heat it
- In between coat the eggplants with 1 tsp turmeric powder and 1 tsp salt
- Fry the eggplants until golden brown on both sides,then keep aside
- In that oil add 1 tsp mustard seeds,1 tsp cumin seeds and 5-6 curry leaves and fry
- Now add the poppy mustard seeds paste
- Mix and add 4 tbs/1/4 th cup water and mix
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes on a medium low flame
- You can see at this point oil separates,now add 1/2 cup water for the gravy
- Mix and when oil separates add the fried eggplants/begun/byangan
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes on a medium low flame
- Now with a light hand mix the gravy with the eggplants
- Allow to cook for more 5 minutes on a medium low flame and its done
We’ve added a step by step video of the recipe 👇👇👇
Hope you like our recipes 😊
Don’t forget to like,share and comment.
Like we always say your comments always encourages us 😊
You can also try some more veg recipe👇👇👇