“Shrimp do pyaza” means shrimp cooked in onion twice.
Do pyaza is a fancy name for restaurants.Like chicken do pyaza,mutton do pyaza etc….
I’m a great fan of shrimp….and this dish reminds me of my childhood days,when I use to come of after school feeling super hungry and my mom used to cook this dish and oh boy!!! I could have ate a full stew pot of rice with this dish😀
This fish I’ve mainly learnt from my mom and then added somebody of my ideas and enriched it more.
It needs just basic spices and only onion that all.
So,let’s start making Shrimp do pyaza/Shrimp in onion sauce…in my style 👇👇👇
Preparation time- 10-12 minutes
Cooking time- 35-40 minutes
- 200 gm shrimp deviened (tail on or tail off your choice)
- 1 tsp salt+1 tsp turmeric powder for marinating the shrimps
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 cup onion paste
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 cup tomato paste
- For tempering- 1 tsp cumin seeds,2 bay leaves,2 whole red chillies,3-4 crushed cloves,3-4 cardamom pods,1 inch cinnamon stick
- For the spice mix- 1 tsp turmeric powder,1 tsp red chilli powder,1 tsp cumin powder,1 tsp coriander powder,1 tsp garam masala,1 tsp paprika (kashmiri lal mirch)
- 1/4 cup water for the spices not to get burnt
- 1/2 water for the gravy
- Chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
- In a bowl add the shrimps and add 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp turmeric powder and mix
- In pan add 2 tbs mustard oil or any cooking oil and fry till golden brown,it will take about 5-6 minutes on a medium flame
- Keep them aside
- In that oil add 1 cup diced onion and fry till translucent and take them out and keep aside
- In that pan add the tempering given in the ingredients section and fry till aroma comes
- Add 1 cup onion paste and cook till the raw smell is gone
- Add 1 tbs ginger paste and 1 tbs garlic paste
- Cook till oil separates
- Add 1 cup tomato paste and cook until the raw smell is gone
- Now add the spice mix from the ingredients section
- Cook and add 1/4 the cup water so that the spices doesn’t get burnt
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes on a medium flame then add 2-3 green chillies and the fried shrimp and mix
- Cook them for more 10 minutes on a medium flame
- Then when the oil separates add 1/2 cup water for the gravy
- Mix and cook for 10 minutes on a medium low flame
- At this point add the diced onions and cook for the final 5 minutes on a medium flame
- You can see now that the oil is completely separated and add some chopped coriander leaves for garnishing and turn off the heat
- Its done now
We’ve added a step by step in our YouTube video👇👇👇
If you like our recipes,please do like,share and subscribe and leave your valuable comments.
Like we always say your comments always encourages us 😊