‘Sabzi daal’ or vegetable lentil soup is a very comforting dish which goes best with rice and some fritters with a side of lime wedge.
It is basically from Bengali Cuisine and made specially during winters when we get fresh vegetables. It is made with tempering cumin seeds and ginger paste,so no onion-no garlic.
It’s is cooked almost everyday in our kitchen. It takes only 20-25 minutes of our effort. It is cooked by dry roasting the daal and then boiling it and pressure cooking it.
If you want you can not fry also, but frying it gives an aroma. Some cook it thick and some cook it runny….so it’s upto you. It’s speciality is that it has the nutty smell of the lentils with the heavenly smell of ghee.
It goes great with some potato and eggplant fries and steamed rice (all links are given below)
Let’s s start making sabzi daal or vegetable daal…in my style 👇👇👇
- For the daal: boil 1/2 cup moong daal (yellow daal)+1/4 th cup chana daal (split lentil)
- For the tempering- 1 tsp cumin seeds,2-3 crushed green cardamom,2-3 cloves and 1/2 inch cinnamon stick,1 bay leaf,2-3 whole red chillies
- 1 tbs ginger paste
- 1/4 th cup chopped cauliflower
- 1/4 th cup chopped potatoes
- 1/4 th cup chopped carrots and peas
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp + 2 tsp ghee
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 th cup chopped coriander leaves/cilantro
- 2-3 slit green chillies
- In a pan add 2-3 tbs oil,in that for tempering add 1 tsp cumin seeds,1 bay leaf,2 whole dried red chillies
- In that add 2-3 crushed green cardamom,2-3 cloves and 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
- Add 1 tbs ginger paste
- Fry till aroma comes
- Now add 1/4 th cup chopped cauliflower and fry for 1-2 minutes
- Then add 1/4 th cup chopped potatoes and fry
- Then add 1/4 th cup chopped carrots and peas
- While frying add 1 tbs ghee or butter,it will make your daal more flavorful
- Now add the boiled daal and mix
- When properly mixed add 1.5 cups of water depending how thick or thin you want the gravy
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes on a medium flame
- Then add 1/4 th cup chopped coriander leaves and 2-3 slit green chillies
- Again cover and cook for 5 minutes on a medium low flame and its done
- Finish it off with 2 tsp ghee
We’ve added a step by step video of the recipe in our YouTube channel 👇👇👇
If you like our recipes, then please do like, share and subscribe.
Don’t forget to leave your valuable comments in the comment box below 😊
You may also like 👇👇👇