Muri means head and Ghonto means mashed, Muri Ghonto is a Bengali delectable dish made with fish head and rice.
Fish head is used preferably of Rohu or Katla. The rice we use is a short grain rice mainly Gobindo Bhog or if you stay outside India you can go for jeera samba or kali jeera rice.
It is a dish which is made mild spicy with some basic spices and potato. It has a aroma from the rice and ghee (clarified butter) and the flavors of the fish. It can be easily savored with steamed rice.
In my childhood days this dish was almost daily on our lunch menu. The sole reason was because as we are Bengalis ,eating fish and rice was our staple. In our shopping list when our father bought other vegetable, while buying fish means buying a whole fish from head to tail. So what to do with the head??? Either make fish and rice Muri Ghonto or machher matha die mooger daal i.e lentil soup with fried fish head.
So,let’s make Muri Ghonto or fish head and rice curry….in my style 👇👇👇
Preparation time- 12-15 minutes
Cooking time- 25-30 minutes
- 1 large fish head preferably Katla or Rohu (added 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp turmeric powder)
- 2 medium sized or 1 large potato cut into cubes (added with 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp turmeric powder)
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup Gobindo Bhog or kali jeera or jeera samba rice
- 2 cups of warm water
- For tempering- 1 bay leaf,2 whole dried red chillies,1 tsp cumin seeds,2-3 crushed cloves,2-3 crushed cardamom pods,1/2 inch cinnamon stick
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 tbs ginger garlic paste
- 2 tbs ghee or clarified butter
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 1 tsp coriander seed
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 tbs sugar
- 2-3 green chillies
- Soak 1 cup of rice for 20-25 minutes and then drain the water
- In a pan add 4 tbs oil,heat it on a medium flame
- Fry potatoes (marinated with 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp turmeric powder)
- Fry till golden brown
- Then fry the fish head (marinated with 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp turmeric powder)
- Fry it till golden brown and keep it aside
- In that oil fry the rice till hard and opaque,then take it out
- Temper the oil with 2 whole dried red chillies,1 bay leaf,1 tsp cumin seeds,2-3 crushed cloves,2-3 crushed cardamom pods,1/2 inch crushed cinnamon stick and fry till aroma comes
- Add 1/2 cup chopped onions and fry till translucent
- To it add 1 tbs ginger garlic paste and fry
- It’s time to add some spices,so add- 1 tsp cumin powder,1 tsp coriander powder,1 tsp red chilli powder,1 tsp turmeric powder mix till oil separates,if need add 2-3 tsp of water to avoid burning
- Now add 1 tsp garam masala,mix and add the fried potatoes
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes on a medium low flame
- Now add the fried fish head mix,then add the fried rice and mix
- Cook for more 2-3 minutes on a medium flame
- Add 2 cups of water,mix,add 2-3 green chillies and bring it to boil
- Now at this point, cover and cook 10 minutes on a medium low flame
- After 10 minutes,you might see some gravy, some people like gravy but we like it on a dryer side
- Keep mixing,the water will dry out.
- When you see,water has dried up and oil started separating,then add 2 tbs ghee or clarified butter and it’s ready
We’ve added a step by step video of the recipe in our YouTube channel 👇👇👇
If you like our recipes then, please do like, share and subscribe.
Don’t forget to leave your valuable comments in the comment box below 😊