Aam Tel or Hot ‘n’ Sour Raw Mango Pickle is not only a simple pickle from Bengali Cuisine but it’s an emotion for Bengalis.
It is mainly prepared during the summer by our Grandmothers. And we as a kid used to steal it from the jars when our Grandmother is asleep. This was a childhood memory ,and I hope most people have this memories.
This is a very simple recipe,and this flavored oil is used in many items like you can make puffed rice or jhalmuri . With the pickle spice we made you can use to make achaari aloo, achaari chicken.
This Aam Tel can be made simply by washing and drying the raw mango pieces and then soaking them in oil with spices and our cooking medium in sunlight.
So,let’s start making Aam Tel or Hot ‘n’ Sour Raw Mango Pickle…my style 👇👇👇
Preparation time- 15-20 minutes
Cooking time- Put it in the sunlight for 7-8 hours, 3-4 days for drying+ 7-8 hours for 3-4 days for soaking
- 2 medium sized raw mango (or 1 large)
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 1/4 cup mustard oil
- 12-15 whole dried red chillies
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp panchphoran
- 1 tsp fennel seeds (mouri)
- In a pan first dry roast 12-15 whole dried red chillies,2 tsp cumin seeds,2 tsp coriander seeds,1 tsp panchphoran and 1 tsp fennel seeds
- Keep on roasting until you get aroma
- Always keep on moving your laddle, otherwise your spices might get burnt and this is the last thing you want right?
- Let it come to room temperature and then grind into semi fine or coarse powder
- Your pickle spice is ready and keep it tightly in a sterilized jar until used
- Now take 2 medium sized mangoes (or 1 large) and cut it into cubes
- Wash it thoroughly and then allow it to dry
- Dry means completely dry,and if possible check each piece so that there is no water otherwise what will happen you know? Your pickle might get fungus
- So dry them up COMPLETELY
- Now to your mango pieces and add 1.5 tsp salt and 1.5 tsp turmeric powder
- Completely coat all the pieces
- Place it on a dry plate (everything must be dry) and the cover with a meshy cover and put it in the sun
- Put it in the maximum sunlight and our purpose is to dry out our mangoes
- You should put it under sun for 3-4 days for at least 7-8 hours
- Now in a pan add 1 1/4 cup mustard oil and heat it up on a high flame
- Then cool down to a temperature where you can at least touch with fingers
- In a clean bowl add our mangoes and add 4 tbs of the pickle spice we made and mix and to it add 1/2 cup of the mustard oil and again mix
- Take sterilized glass jar and pour our mangoes with spice and oil
- Give it a shake and add rest of the spice you made with rest of the oil
- Tighten up the lid and again shake it up
- Again you need to put it in the sun for at least 6-7 days for 7-8 hours
- While keeping in the sun remove the lid and cover the mouth with a meshy covering so that it gets proper sunlight and no insects falls or sits on it
- After 7-8 days your pickle will be ready but to give it more shelf life just put it in the sun almost everyday if possible for at least 2-3 hours
- Your Aam Tel or Hot ‘n’ Sour Raw Mango Pickle is ready
We’ve added a step by step video of the recipe in our YouTube channel 👇👇👇
If you like our recipes then please do like, share,and subscribe.
Don’t forget to leave your valuable comments in the comment box below 😊